Sunday, April 15, 2012

Chapter 14: Cut and Connect

I've been very busy lately and I haven't seen the keyboard for awhile now. I finally got my time to explain the stress this week, but its not about the stress, its about the experiences. I attended to my regular job campus and boy its gotta be more boring than visiting the nursing home. I would rather play cards with old people for same amount of time then sit on my butt and see listen to the humming of the vending machines outside of my work place. They are really irritating. I'm not really a big fan of this job because of two things. First, no one ever comes to my work for help or just to talk and second, I feel practically useless. I seriously don't do much except put more paper into the printer and rent out pool equipment. I don't really get my taste of satisfaction from this job.

The job I do get my satisfaction from is from Sober Drive. Yeah I drive drunks around and get paid to take them home or to another bar. You all probably think its weird, but hey if you were to see all the money I make from it, you would jump on this job too. I also get to hear weird stories and talk to some pretty "smashed" people. I can't help laughing at drunks sometimes. Ok, I've been waiting to tell you all an experience I had 2 weeks ago. We got a call to go pick some people up and when we get to this bar, the clients as I like to say were pissed off. One heavier guy was bleeding from the head. He said he was hit by a car. We rushed him to the hospital with his two other friends. That night I almost had to bail someone out of jail and the client gave me $550 to bail her out. Luckily she got let go with a warning. That night was super hectic, but defiantly worth the $125 I made in 4.5 hrs of work. Sometimes driving drunks gives me a thrill.

The big task this weekend was defiantly to edit my film project. I'm not a big fan of 16mm film, but when I saw the results of my film that I've been waiting for 2 weeks for, I was excited. Usually when you plan for something, it never happens the way you visualized it, but today was not one of those days. Everything was sharp and good exposure. I don't like to boast, but my film looks like it could pull in some awards this year. Soon I will be working on sound and then the final cut. When it comes to editing, you have to watch your footage first to get an idea of what your movie is about again. As a film student, we have to send our 16mm film to a processing company in Seattle. It takes about 2 weeks to get it back and when you get it back, its always nerve-racking when your about to open it up and see the results. Film is very different from video. The reasons why I like video more is because I can see the results now, I don't have to wait 2 weeks to get it back and its a pain to setup. The editing process is long because you have to cut your film, organize the film in order and then connect the film strips together with tape. If you stay focused and edit fast, it still takes roughly about 3 hrs to edit, I on the other hand, was editing for 8 hrs. Yeah weekend kinda of gone, but hey for once I was productive. If you can't tell I'm sort of impatient.

I've really notice this when it comes to organizing my weeks. I want to do so much, but I only have time to do things like work and school. I like to party and have fun, but sometimes you just gotta say no or say "next weekend I'll do something more crazy!" Yeah life is like one long movie, you have to cut and connect the things that really matter to you like work, school, friends and family. Sometimes its alright to leave out partying and drinking from your final schedule.

When I write, I don't feel stressed out. I write because my brain needs to let out all the things I may be thinking about at a particular time. Sometimes it just feels good to let someone know, sometimes its good to connect with people who will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment