Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Chapter 32: Slow Night, All Right


                It is another late night on the job. Surprisingly the vent in the far back echoed loud sounds of clicking and shuttering quite more noticeably today, causing dust particles to bounce off the metal and float softly in the air. Business is slow tonight. I've seen one customer. He tapped the display window with his index and murmured that he wanted four of both the red and blue text paper. His sweat splattered on the counter and he wiped it with his sweat drenched shirt. What I would do to get out of here and play some basketball I quietly wondered to myself. Besides serving the sweaty customer,  I spent my spare time leaned back in my scratchy cloth chair and casually ate my crunchy bacon cheddar chips.  Tick Tick Tick, groaned the clock on the wall, reminding me of my freedom to be granted in one hour and also that my homework awaits me then. I leaned down to my backpack and grabbed the zipper. The zipper threads were goofed up and it required me to give it a good tug to get past the broken part. I saw the shadow of delicate hands from the corner of my eye tap on the glass and it made pleasant clicking sound, similar to that of tap dancing shoes. I tilted my head to catch her beaming smile.

                "Hey, do you work here?" she asked politely. My eyelids flickered and I automatically sat straight up. Her vanilla perfume aroma drifted by my nose making it twitch and tingle. I rubbed my eyes and blinked a little more, doubtful of the image I saw before me. Her smile was tremendous showing her sparkly white teeth. Her eyes captivated my attention and unconsciously, my mouth gaped open, lost for words. Her eyes squinted, then she giggled. She kept smiling and just stared into my eyes. The clicking and shuttering of the vent faded in and out in the background. I could not believe she came back. Is this really happening or did I fall asleep in my chair?

No comments:

Post a Comment