Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chapter 34: Listen Before You Talk

Today was very slow and unproductive. Waking up at 3:00 in the afternoon is a great definition for laziness. I didn't do too much, until later in the evening. My roomie walked into the kitchen and I was making something to drink. I looked at his face and knew he wanted to talk. Something was really on his mind. He was going through the girl phase, he said he hated that talking the girls has gotten him frustrated and depressed. He doesn't know whats wrong with him. That was just the first layer of this talk. We both had more on our minds. He talked to me about his grandpa passing away and knowing his grandma being all aloned reflected on him because he is all alone. He just wants to have that significant other or girlfriend.

I listened, I didn't want to preach, but I felt like God wanted me to say something. I told him that I've been there and I could relate. I told him that my grandpa also passed away and since then I've always felt alone. I never wanted to die alone. We shared a couple of tears (watery eyes) and before I knew it, we were talking about more than this world. I feel that all the things about having someone or missing something lead to God and having a relationship with him. I'm not the kind of person who wants to pressure someone into doing something so I decided I would hear from him about his connection with God. He said that he went to church and that he thinks he's Methodist. He really doesn't have a clue, he wants to know God, but he doesn't fully understand him. I offered him to come to Cru with me and meet some cool people, he said he will pass. That won't stop me from praying about him though. I'm glad he talked and I got to listen. God always has a plan for everyone, he just needs to invite him in.

I took some time tonight and read from the a book by Francis Chan called Crazy Love. I've read chapter 1, so many times, but I decided to read it again. I've never finished the book. Chapter one is about listening instead of talking. Its good just to realize God for a couple minutes before going to him with prayer. God is amazing if you take the time to think about what he has done. There is a video that I recommend all of you to check out. Its called Just Stop and Think, Chan talks about coming to God and knowing that he always loves us and has forgiven us. All we need is to accept him. I really want you to all check this out, so here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRi4VwcrYmA

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if  anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.


No comments:

Post a Comment